COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR
Founded in 1977, the vision of Omaha Economic Development Corporation (OEDC) is to provide residents of North Omaha the tools and resources needed to achieve economic mobility and self-sufficiency, and to break the cycle of poverty. OEDC advances its mission through cross-sector, intergenerational efforts through community engagement activities.
Reporting to the President, Omaha Economic Development Corporation, the Community Engagement Coordinator is a key member of the Fair Deal Village MarketPlace Creatives’ Collective. This program is designed to build connections and foster collaboration among residents in identifying the issues, concerns and needs for healthy food within zip codes 68110 and 68111. The Coordinator will work with local residents as well as other key stakeholders from the local art and health sectors to identify potential solutions to these challenges.
Position Title: Community Engagement Coordinator
Reports To: President, Omaha Economic Development Corporation
- Designing and implementing an aggressive marketing and outreach strategy that engages residents through door-to-door canvassing, community events, mailings, social media, email and other opportunities;
- Recruiting and supervising a committee of Community Ambassadors who assist in executing the Collective’s overall outreach strategy;
- Representing the program at neighborhood association meetings, community events, and community partner meetings;
- Overseeing the collection and use of data related to peer-to-peer outreach efforts as well as program reports;
- Planning and executing, with team members, monthly program related events including evening workshops/sessions;
- Ensures Creatives’ Collective is meeting all benchmarks and outcomes identified for this program; and
- Ability to travel, locally and nationally.
- Performing additional duties as assigned by OEDC.
The position is for a highly energetic, outgoing “people” person who can engage people from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds and age groups.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Community organizing and outreach experience required. Experience working with residents of diverse communities and persons of low income a must.
- Familiarity with participatory engagement practices a plus.
- Strong ability to self-manage with significant strength in time management.
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter, and motivated.
- Ability to work on a team and develop a broad network of community relationships.
- Demonstrated positive, collaborative approach to work, including a commitment to high-impact customer service and problem solving.
- Proficient in MS Work, Outlook, Excel and social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, work well as part of a team, and maintain positive relationships with staff, leadership and stakeholders.
- Sense of humor and passion for social justice a must.
- Understanding and respect for persons of diverse racial, ethnic and age backgrounds a must.
- Must be able to work some evenings and Saturdays.
Salary is based on experience.
Job Type: Full time, one year commitment
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree (minimum)
- Community organizing and outreach experience 1 year
- Ability to work with diverse communities and demonstrate inclusion
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, professional customer service skills
Submittal Requirements: Please submit a resume as well as two work/project related references to:
Michael Maroney, President
Omaha Economic Development Corporation
2221 North 24th Street
Omaha, Nebraska 68110
Materials must be submitted, via USPS, no later than: JULY 5, 2016.